Welcome to Year 1
Year 1 staff
Donaldson - Miss McCombe and Mrs Johnson
Dahl - Miss Thomson and Mrs Harding
Milne - Mrs Pow and Mrs Ball
We are very excited to see everyone back for another jam packed year of fun, learning and new experiences. We look forward to sharing our challenges and work with our parents so that we continue to be successful.
Spring 1 Dinosaur Planet
Stomp, crash RRAGH! Watch out everyone – the dinosaurs are on the prowl! They’re rampaging across the dusty earth, swishing their enormous tails and baring their fearsome teeth… Let’s explore the Dinosaur planet! Imagine you’re a palaeontologist (that’s a scientist who studies bones and fossils). Dig deep and discover dazzling dinosaur facts. Create your own dinosaur museum and invite visitors to see your awesome dinosaur artefacts. You could even do a dinosaur dance or produce some prehistoric percussion! Which is your favourite dinosaur? The Tyrannosaurus rex, the Brachiosaurus or the Micropachycephalosaurus? Doyouthinkkesawus? Yes he did…RUN!
This half term our Cornerstones topic is Splendid Skies. We are learning about different types of weather and seasons.
Below are some homework activities which you could complete over this half term. You can choose to do one or all of the activities. When you have completed an activity bring it in to show us.
· Learn how to fly a kite, ask an adult to help you.
· Visit the local library to look for stories about the weather. Which is your favourite?
· Go out on a rainy day to find the biggest, widest and deepest puddle!
· Make your own weather chart and keep a record of the weather every day.
· Learn how to spell weather words such as rain, wind, snow, sun. storm, wet, dry, hot and cold.
· Go for a walk taking photographs of signs of the seasons suck as buds, new leaves or leaves falling from the trees. Collect rainwater in a container, how much can you collect in a week?
· Show an adult how to make a shadow with a torch.
· Make a mini book containing pictures of yourself wearing outfits suitable for each season or weather type.
· Take your teddy with you on a day out, write about where teddy went, what he did and what the weather was like.
What is our first topic?
Our first topic is Superheroes!
Do you have what it takes to be a superhero? Are you up for new challenges? Then this is the topic for you.
We will be learning about different heroes including real life ones. We will be using our skills to design our own superheroes and take on missions which will stretch our learning.